Usina Del Arte

In the neighborhood of La Boca, southern part of the City of Buenos Aires, is located the Usina del Arte: an architectural icon that today became a multidisciplinary cultural center, and puts different artistic expressions within everyone's reach.


History

The Usina del Arte was built at the beginning of the 20th century by the Italian architect Giovanni Chiogna, based on the industrial aesthetics of the time. This "palace of light" hosted the Italo Argentina Electricity Company (CIAE, for its spanish meaning) between 1911 and 1979.
The building grew in stages. The first part was the main building, located at the junction between Don Pedro de Mendoza Avenue and Benito Pérez Galdós, inaugurated in 1916: a rectangular block that enclosed two parallel naves -one for boilers (currently, the Auditorio Sinfónico) and another for turbines (today, Nave Mayor)-.
The next two stages of construction saw the Usina rise up to its final form. In the first place a second building was built, separated from the original one by an inner street, narrower and smaller, with a roof tower with a hipped roof; and, finally, the generation ship was extended to Caffarena Street. Today the main access is on the corner with Pedro de Mendoza, through the "Patio de Honor", which has a clock tower and an artistic staircase dating from 1926.

Spaces

The Usina del Arte has different spaces that will be used during IODC18. Among them, are: